When working with ambitious, striving organisations and individuals, who have a real appetite for success, coaching and mentoring often deliver a competitive edge to performance, in a customised, confidential and engaging way.
We are often asked about the differences between Coaching and Mentoring?
There are a number of schools of thought and approaches to when each is appropriate. Whilst many of the skills, relationship dynamics and outputs are the same for both coaching and mentoring, at OIM we make the following distinction:
- Coaching - tends to have a short-medium term focus, with more formal, specific goals for performance improvement, problem resolution or development agreed. Coaches will have formal training and qualifications in coaching combined with business experience, but it is not necessary for the Coach to have the same career background as the Coachee.
- Mentoring - tends to be a medium-long term relationship, where typically the Mentor is an experienced, more senior person who acts as a sounding board, advisor and often ‘role model’ for the learner. As such, similar career backgrounds are important. The goals in mentoring may be less formalised and the type of support required change throughout the relationship.
In either case it makes sound business sense to invest in the key players in your team, helping them to achieve their goals, broaden their skills and develop new approaches to their business challenges.
Coaching and Mentoring are rapidly become the “must have” for executives and are key to their retention and in-role success.
OIM provide a range of Coaching and Mentoring services, starting from as little as £500.
All of our Coaches hold accredited qualifications in Coaching, and are required to follow the best practice requirements for continual performance development and supervision set by accreditation organisations such as The British Psychological Society’s Special Group in Coaching Psychology & the Association for Coaching.
Our coaching services will be tailored to your individual requirements, however, our most requested program involves:
- 6 sessions
- 1.5 hour per session
- 4 months duration
- confidentiality, responsibilities & boundaries agreed at commencement
- specific objectives or goals agreed in first sessions
- relevant diagnostic tools (personality or motivation inventories, 360 surveys utilised dependent upon goals and focus of coaching)
- session content and structure tailored to each individual